Finally, a mirroless camera with internal ProRes 422 and RAW. And it’s cheaper than Canon and Sony’s competing models. This is now a serious contender for the best hybrid photo and video camera on the market.
The Nikon Z9’s features includes:
- 45MP FF stacked sensor
- New EXPEED main LSI with 8K processing
- 8K 24p and 30p video
- 4k at 120/60/30p
- Significantly improved AF and 3D tracking
- Multi leaf blade protective shutter that auto covers sensor when switched off
- Excellent dynamic range
- Improved UI
- Improved articulated screen that even works in portrait mode
- Third joystick/selector
- 16bit RAW
- 5.8Mp (or 9Mp) OLED EVF (Blackout-free)
- Dual CF-Express (B type) card slots
- USB-C, WiFi, GPS
- Uses Nikon D6 battery and optional EN-EL18x battery
- And more!
Unfortunately some of the video features for 8K will be released in early 2022 via a firmware update.
Nikon was falling behind its competition with its mirrorless cameras. Let’s hope this a sign of things to come from this company and that some of the Z9 features will trickle down into subsequent models.