Chiopt, a young Chinese lens manufacturing company, has recently announced and released images of a new, 3X zoom, 28-85mm T3.2 lens. What makes this lens so interesting is:
- It could be an affordable full frame cinema zoom lens, something that is lacking on the market (on the Chiopt website this lens is described as cost-effective but no pricing is provided)
- Minimal lens breathing
- Decent size and weight for a cinema lens of this zoom range (this lens weighs almost 6lbs)
- 46mm image circle
- Nice focus throw of 288 degrees
- Minimum focusing distance of 1.3 inches (40cm)
- 114mm front lens diameter
- Both metric and imperial markings on the lens (on opposite sides)
- User switchable mounts with PL/EF/E being available at the start and more to come
- Rounded and natural bokeh
- Adjustable back-focus
On paper this lens looks great. However, this is a young company that has yet to prove themselves. We’re glad to see them attempting something bold. Let’s hope they can pull it off at a good price without sacrificing quality, reliability, or anything else significant to a degree that is not acceptable. When we get some footage of this lens in action we will post it.
Visit the EXTREMER page on the Chiopt website for more information.